What an amazing year 2018 was at the Keystone-Monon Community Garden at Arsenal Park! We want to thank all in our community who made it such a success: our gardeners, our generous sponsors, and our community supporters. We are so grateful for you!
What was new in 2018?
- In August, our second Neighborhood Garden Tour raised over $430 for the garden. Close to 20 participants visited six gardens, and we welcomed the support of 13 local business sponsors!
- We hosted a weekly by-donation yoga series, Yoga in the Garden, all summer. Huge thanks to instructor John-Payton Rowley, SoBeFit. We welcomed almost 300 yogis-in-training of all ages and raised nearly $1,000 in donations for our instructor and the garden.
- We built a new welcome and communications area: a planting table, outdoor message board, and arbor to create more growing space and shade. Huge thanks to our construction guru Liz Laughlin, owner of Limelight Coffee, and the Marion County Master Gardeners Association, whose generous grant helped support these exciting infrastructure additions.
- We partnered with the IBG Youth Outreach Program during its pilot summer, hosting a weekly gardening and nutrition class for youth from our neighborhood.
- We hosted a seed giveaway, cover crop workshop, essential oils workshop, and seedling sale, open to all in our community, raising over $560.
- We hosted two big work days and expanded our perennial wildflower plantings. The monarch butterfly caterpillars found us this summer! Not only do flowers add beauty, but they greatly increase the biodiversity of pollinators in Arsenal Park.
- We partnered with so many in our community! We would be nothing without our community partners and supporters. Please support them year-round and during this holiday season. And the biggest thanks go to Indy Parks and Recreation for their continued support of the garden.
- We gardened – and our gardeners’ beds were simply gorgeous this year! 20 gardeners grew fresh, organic produce all summer long.
What do we have planned for 2019?
- Updated garden signage to tell our story and help community members connect with the garden and each other when they visit.
- Website updates, including a recipe corner, virtual garden tour, gardener biographies, and other activities.
- Expanded efforts to make a deeper impact in our neighborhood. And more yoga!
Join us for a SEED GIVEAWAY, SEED STARTING WORKSHOP, and SPRING WORK GROUPS as we work to build our neighborhood’s first community garden at Arsenal Park!
WHEN: Monday, 2/22/16, 6-7pm
WHERE: IPS Rousseau McClellan Montessori School 91 gym, 5111 Evanston Ave., Indianapolis
During this meeting, we will give away plenty of seeds, generously donated by Whole Foods Market in Carmel and Plantation Products, to get our future gardeners started. We will also assign tasks to build our garden this spring: mulch and soil acquisition, volunteer work days, and raised bed design and building!
All are welcome, and no gardening experience is necessary – just a desire to build community, learn, grow, and have fun with your neighbors. You don’t need to be a resident of Keystone-Monon to join.
Thank you to IPS Rousseau McClellan Montessori School 91 for the generous use of their gym! Please park in the south lot off 51st St.
Thanks to all who were able to attend our meeting on Sunday, 6/14! This has been a busy month – we’ve met and far exceeded our initial online fundraising goal, we registered with the Indianapolis Recorder’s Office and the IRS as a community organization, we started a bank account, and we even have a lead on a non-profit community development corporation who can serve as a fiscal sponsor (which means we can apply for grants under their name).
The only thing left to do is sign an official agreement with the Indianapolis Parks and Recreation Department to begin building! After our most recent meeting, several members of the garden coalition met with our parks contacts and walked Arsenal Park, talking through all of the last nitty-gritty details. Read on to learn more!
UPDATED GARDEN PLANS AND MINUTES:
ARSENAL PARK UPDATE: Meeting at Arsenal Park with Parks Contact
Following a meeting with our primary contact with Indianapolis Parks and Recreation, Allen McClendon, the garden coalition has developed a revised site plan and plan for execution for years 2015 and 2016. Based on his estimate, an optimistic goal will be that we can begin building at the end of July.
We are currently waiting on the city to finalize a formal agreement to us to sign. Once that happens, the garden coalition can obtain public liability insurance, purchase garden bed materials, and begin building. We will need all the helping hands we can get when it comes time to build and will have multiple volunteer days.
We are hopeful that this process can maintain momentum with the city over the next six weeks. We welcome any and all support in getting to the point where we can break ground!
Thank you to everyone, and stay tuned for details on our next meeting; we are amazed by the support this project has received and are thrilled that we have the funds already in place to create a neighborhood resource for years to come!