Dear friends of the Keystone-Monon Community Garden,
This year, we are so thankful for your friendship, donations, and support! We launched this project in February with the tiniest seed of an idea – to build a welcoming public space in the form of a community garden where all of our neighbors could grow their own food, learn, and have fun side by side.
Since then and thanks to your support, we have grown by leaps and bounds:
- We have worked closely with Indianapolis’ Department of Parks and Recreation to gain approval to build our garden at Arsenal Park, located at 46th and Indianola. Arsenal Park is in the heart of our neighborhood and will be a wonderful gathering and growing space for our neighborhood.
- Our design team has created a beautiful multi-phase design, providing both individual and communal garden beds, as well as spaces to rest and enjoy the garden. Individual plots will be available in 2016 for just $25/year to help cover maintenance and water costs.
- Our fundraising team gained the support of individuals, businesses, and other organizations throughout the year, allowing us to raise over $3,300 this year! All funds go directly to building and supporting the garden.
- Perhaps most importantly, we began building a coalition of interested neighbors, harnessing the power of people. We now have over 120 supporters and interested individuals and anticipate this number to continue to grow. Remember, without community, it’s just a garden – and probably not a very successful one at that.
So what do we have to look forward to in 2016?
- Building the garden! We can’t wait to organize several work days in early 2016 with the goal of having garden beds ready for our gardeners by April 2016. Our official ribbon cutting ceremony will take place in My 2016!
- Growing together! Gardeners can sign up for their own plots in early 2016 for just $25/year. No gardening experience necessary: we will continue to plan educational workshops so we can learn to garden and grow together.
- Continuing to garner community and citywide support for our efforts.
Thank you for helping us realize our goals in 2015! The hands on work really kicks off in January 2016, and we look forward to organizing many volunteer work days. We hope you will join us or follow along on our Facebook page. And remember, donations are appreciated year-round. Donate here today: http://kmcommunitygarden.causevox.com/
Wishing you happiness, health, and lots of green, growing things surrounding you in the new year,
Christie Koester, Sara Croft, and the entire Keystone-Monon Community Garden coalition